Would you stand for Parliament?

Sat, May 16 2009 02:34pm BST 1
Paul Judge
Paul Judge
26 Posts
Are you prepared to take on the responsibility of public office? Do you think you could do a better job than the incumbents? What qualities do you think a political representative needs?
Tue, Jun 2 2009 02:48pm BST 2
Ian Ryan
Ian Ryan
1 Posts
Yes I would.
Yes I do.
Honesty.Integrity.
Tue, Jun 2 2009 05:26pm BST 3
John Powell
John Powell
10 Posts
Yes I would, love a crack at it, you just have got to look around
my town Port Talbot, to see what the last ten years and more
under the Labour Party, have done, " Not A Lot "
To keep things simple, I think that most MPs forgot KISS, which
means " Keep Things Simple Stupid " .
That why most of them are in trouble.
I have started to work, to get Jury know in Wales and in my area,
May I wish, good luck to the members standing, in these
European Elections, they got my vote.

JP.
Wed, Jun 3 2009 11:48am BST 4
Heather Kavanagh
Heather Kavanagh
6 Posts
I'm very much willing to stand. I'm waiting for the announcement from JT that they want people to stand in the primary rounds so I can have a crack at it in my constituency.

I've been getting more and more disillusioned with our political system over the past few years, and really want a chance to have a go at changing things for the better.
Wed, Jun 3 2009 04:10pm BST 5
Alan Wallace
Alan Wallace
7 Posts
To all who are considering it - stand!

Then be prepared for the most amazing few weeks of your life Laughing
Wed, Jun 3 2009 05:58pm BST 6
Hugh McCreedy
Hugh McCreedy
2 Posts

I probably would stand. However, I consider it a real possibility that an election could be called at any time. This government is under exceptional pressure. A disaster tomorrow may be enough to force an election. In that event, would Jury Team have sufficient time to sort out candidates and fight an election. I think not.

Wed, Jun 3 2009 11:01pm BST 7
Andrew Murgatroyd
Andrew Murgatroyd
1 Posts
I think I would stand, just to give people some real choice. If a snap election were called in the next month or so I'm sure that by using new technology and with the tremendous goodwill and energy of exisiting Jury Team members we could could quite quickly string together a campaign. So come on Gordon ... do the decent thing!!
Sun, Jun 7 2009 03:52pm BST 8
John Matchett
John Matchett
9 Posts
I wouldn't stand. Too much danger of me becoming a politician. :)

More than happy to help with the grunt work though. A question for those willing to stand:

What happens if you don't elected?

I'm sure you'd do a good job if elected but if the seat goes to the party that always wins that seat, do you forget about helping your community? In other words, is your commitment to help your local community dependant on you getting elected?

Sun, Jun 7 2009 08:26pm BST 9
Heather Kavanagh
Heather Kavanagh
6 Posts
In other words, is your commitment to help your local community dependant on you getting elected?
That's a good question. Let me see... If I stand and don't get elected, I think I'd still try to be active in my constituency. However, I also have to earn a living, so I guess it would be back to the grindstone until the next chance comes up. My county council is pretty much permanently blue, my borough council wavers a little but is currently blue, my local MP is red (or should that be pinky-purple?). I have no real interest in trying to run for council seats, to be honest. I want to try and change the system from the top. Doesn't that sound arrogant!
Mon, Jun 8 2009 11:00am BST 10
Graham Burton
Graham Burton
16 Posts
i have emailed jury team HQ today to put my name forward for northfield constituency in birmingham.

so if anyother else out their putting there name foward plase let me know if you arein the birmingham area as you have to helpeach other to get the message out their!!!!!
Mon, Jun 8 2009 12:52pm BST 11
John Powell
John Powell
10 Posts
Now the work start, the European Election is behind us now.
In Wales we came last in this election, why ? I believe that
we didn't get our message out to enough people.
I only join the JuryTeam a few days before, and every person
I talk to, said they would have voted for me.
This is a sale person dream, to sell something most people
want, The JuryParty. Many MPs are not sales persons, but
Con-Men, and are now getting found out, just look at the
Labour Party.
My commitment to the JuryTeam is total still, even if I didn't
get elected next time.
What we got is so good for our families and the country. I am standing for Aberavon Consituency, Port Talbot, South Wales.
Mon, Jun 8 2009 02:38pm BST 12
rollo miles
rollo miles
6 Posts

I will be standing.

I stayed up all night watching the election results, Ok we did not get a seat but we did get brand awareness.

Every time a count was announced The Jury Team was mentioned and it was great.

People did vote for us and our name was announced each time.

The way I see things is that the Jury team is much better suited for a general election; The area one represents is much smaller and more manageable. With the right campaign sky is the limit.

I have already started mine and would like the Jury Team selection to start ASAP.

Bellow you will find an example of an email I have asked all my friend to cut and paste and send out to everyone they know:

Hi ……

I would just like to draw you attention to a friend of mine who is trying to get elected as an Independent MP for the new seat of Hammersmith and Shepherds Bush.

His name is Rollo Miles and you can get more info on him at www.rollomiles.com .

Rollo is a person like you or me, married and lives and works in Hammersmith Shepherds Bush. He has strong family values and would be a breath of fresh air if he were elected to Parliament, so please support him in whatever way you can. If you live in the following post codes, W6, W12, W14, then please vote for him. If you have any friends who live in Hammersmith & Shepherds Bush then please forward this email to them.

This is a personal recommendation; we need new blood in Parliament we need people like Rollo.

Political parties are important, but we need a certain amount of independent MPs to keep them in check and we need people who can truly represent us not just a party.

Thanks in advance

Xxxxx

Thanks for taking time to read this and to send it on to your friends,

Rollo Miles

www.rollomiles.com

So to answer your question yes I will be standing

Rollo Miles

Future MP for Hammersmith

www.rollomiles.com

Mon, Jun 8 2009 09:31pm BST 13
John Powell
John Powell
10 Posts

Rollo,
I also stayed up all night watching Labour, get hit where it hurts, and about time this happened in Wales. They just
got to big for they own boots.

Dispointed, I never once all night, hear the name JuryTeam
on the TV. And we pick up 3793 votes, in Wales.

Rollo, you so right, with the right campaign and the name
more know, the sky the limit.

Just like you, I have started my campaign, and most of the
people, I have talk to said, they would vote for me.

And just like you, I would like the JuryTeam selection to
start ASAP.

I have ask, a very good friend, to run and look after my
small business, call TelFriendsWorldwide.

So I can give all my time to the campaign, and to get
people knowing all about The JuryTeam.

Good luck with your campaign.

Tue, Jun 9 2009 12:48am BST 14
John Donovan
John Donovan
19 Posts
Yes I would stand and fight to WIN aginst Peter Hain.
Who as we all know as been reappointed Secretary of state for Wales.
In the ward of Neath and Porttabot.
fighting along side JohnPowell, who could contest Aberavon .
Have in the past run my own party..so have some experience and know what to expect from the other Parties and the Media.
But with JuryTeam HQ's help , will be building the Welsh JuryTeam to see if we can find candidates to fight seats for Parlimant,Welsh Assembly, and Local Concils.
its about time we had a change to the way the two party system is run for the benefit of the parties and not the Contituents.
the only time you may see your MP in a surgery,, but does he realy listen to what you have to say.. I think not..
but let's not forget one very important POINT, what is the JuryTeams Policy,, on a number of KEY issues. Like the Deb, the Government of the day as left us all In.
without Answers we would be dead in the Water, even before we got started..
please don't say that its up to each Independent MP or Candidate.
Because if done correctly JuryTeam could form a government one day,,RIGHT!!!!
Sat, Jun 13 2009 05:00pm BST 15
Lyn Tofari
Lyn Tofari
12 Posts
I am seriously considering it, but I think we need to know what the format will be this time, ie will Sir Paul want to 'blanket' cover the country or 'target' certain seats.

In 'conversation' with some of the other EUcandidates, we feel that we couldn't go through another text voting primary. This is an important area as it is open to abuse.
Sun, Jun 21 2009 12:16pm BST 16
Democratic Andy
Democratic Andy
8 Posts
I would possibly stand , it is certainly very tempting. Even if I didn't I would like to be actively involved in campaigning.

Qualities the people will be looking for in the next election are clearly honesty and integrity. They will want somebody they can trust to be open and honest.

I would be completely realistic and accept it is very unlikely that an independant could be elected in my very safe conservative constituency, that's not defeatest and I would give it my best shot.
A real victory would be to gain enough votes to secure the deposit. Getting the message across to enough people is hard and getting the 60% of the elctorate who don't vote interested in the first place is also difficult.

I would be happy to make the candidates of the mainstream parties feel my presence and force them into situations where they were forced to answer awkward questions about their past record of representing the constituency.

If I were a failed candidate I would see my role to continue as the representative of those who voted for me and keep the pressure on the elected MP to fulfill his or her obligations to the elctorate of the constituency and represent their views in Westminster. I would be a thorn in their side and make sure that the electorate were kept fully informed as to what their elected MP was up to , or more importantly was not up to.

Our current MP, John Gummer, has been busy keeping his garden nice at the taxpayers expense. He claimed more than £9,000 a year in gardening expenses over a four-year period – including £100 to rid his lawn of moles in one year alone. He claimed hundreds of pounds to tackle wildlife on his Suffolk country home, with bills to remove jackdaw nests, combat insect infestations and an annual ‘rodent service’ contract. His claims, like the claims of countless other MP's, make a mockery of Commons rules which state that an MP should only recoup costs essential to their parliamentary duties.

2005 Result
Suffolk Coastal

John Gummer Conservative 23,415 44.6 %
David Rowe Labour 13,730 26.1 %
David Young Liberal Democrat 11,637 22.1 %
Richard Curtis UK Independence Party 2,020 3.8 %
Paul Whitlow Green 1,755 3.3 %

Sun, Jun 21 2009 12:29pm BST 17
Democratic Andy
Democratic Andy
8 Posts

2005 Result in my constituency Suffolk Coastal

John Gummer Conservative 23415 44.6%
David Rowe Labour 13730 26.1%
David Young Lib Dem 11637 22.1%
Richard Curtis UKIP 2020 3.8%
Paul Whitlow Green 1755 3.3%

Fri, Jun 26 2009 06:29am BST 18
Bob Sampson
Bob Sampson
1 Posts

Yes I would stand, given the chance. I know my local MP, he is a nice guy and does a lot to help his constituents  - but, and it is a big but, he still has to toe the line on some things that I'm sure he doesn't believe in, just to keep his job in the shadow cabinet. This job gives him more clout to get things done for people locally, but the moral dilemma should not be forced on him. The Jury Team is the only way to go. I have been a member of a non-political parish council for over 20 years and we get more done for our constituents than politically driven town councils of the same size.

Fri, Jun 26 2009 12:13pm BST 19
Mike Brown
Mike Brown
4 Posts

Probably not.  I am 60 later this year and I think 40-50 is about the perfect age for someone experienced in life outside of politics to stand as an independent.  Also I may be moving later this year or early next year to Lincolnshire.  I think the constituency is Boston and Skegness.  Another safe (as in complacent)  Tory seat.  Wherever I am when the election is called I will work my socks of to get a JT candidate elected in a safe Tory seat so that we can destroy the complaceny of the politicians and the current Duopoly of power. 

If my chosen constituency has not found a suitable candidate by the time the election is called then maybe I will reconsider.

Fri, Jun 26 2009 12:20pm BST 20
Mike Brown
Mike Brown
4 Posts
Apologies, I forget to answer the last two of Sir Paul's questions.

Yes I could do better, but I am sure there are many others out there who could do better that the complacent bunch we have at the moment.

Principles, Honesty, Integrity, and an analytical and skeptical mind that will be capable of sifting all the complex facts of any issue and resisting sticking plaster solutions.
Mon, Jul 13 2009 11:26pm BST 21
William Jones
William Jones
10 Posts

Yes I will and yes I can. 

Am I downhearted because I live in a constitunency that is a Labour safe seat, I say no!

The current parties are complacent, so much so in my constitunency of Wythenshawe and Sale East the Labour party hardly campaigned but still won with just over 50% turn out.  There is alot of apathy in the electorate but I passionately believe independents can make a difference and engage with the masses who don't vote and engage with those that do. 

See my website www.wjoneswythandsale.org.uk and support me.

Sat, Aug 1 2009 02:20am BST 22
Keith Kennaugh
Keith Kennaugh
2 Posts
I don't think I want to do it. On the one hand, it is money for jam, but on the other, it seems likely to be a whole lot of aggravation.

That said, it is a dirty job, but someone has to do it, and I am pretty sure I would do it a heck of a lot better than a lot of the current crowd.

So, if that was the will of the people I would be prepared to bite the bullet and do the job, and to do it to the best of my ability.

Do you reckon I'd get very far with an election slogan of "don't vote for me, I don't want to do it"?
Mon, Aug 17 2009 07:21am BST 23
kavi tha
kavi tha
1 Posts

Hai!

I am really happy to post my comment in this.

Ya I would and I do.

Kavvi
---------

FTP Program

Fri, Oct 23 2009 01:57am BST 24
Andy Dumas
Andy Dumas
1 Posts
Yes, I am weighing my options and setting up a website called Free-Your-Vote.Com, which I hope to make into an effective tool to unseat the New Labour MP in Hastings & Rye. The website will promote, also, independent political activity in the Southeast during the local elections. Hastings and Rye is a marginal constituency where the incumbant MP is quite vulnerable to a Conservative win. Having said that, the Conservatives here are not very effective and next to Labour are definitely the poor cousin in the game of electioneering. That makes them vulnerable, too. The Libdems are not really contenders, but will pull votes. In a sense, the political terrain in this constituency could favour an independent interloper.
Fri, Oct 23 2009 05:52pm BST 25
Dorothy Chambers
Dorothy Chambers
5 Posts
I wish you all the best Hope you consider standing as an MP
Yours Dorothy of Birmingham

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.